Friday, July 24, 2015

Answered Prayers


I was sitting on my back porch this morning drinking a cup of coffee, something I seldom do,  but after this morning, I realize that I  might need to make this a weekly activity.  For the sun had not yet heated up the day, the birds were perched and tweeting their melancholy tunes,  the pool sweeper was doing its job making ripples in the water, and there I sat on the couch looking outward.

Yesterday was my husbands birthday, and we had a few friends over for taco night and margaritas.   I was catching up with a long time friend last night who I had not seen for months, and we talked of kids and families and she followed one of her updates with a gentle smile on her face saying: "an answered prayer".  Funny how different things stick in your head, and this one comment resonated then and still this morning is front and center.  For I had been one of the ones praying with her the same prayer for a long time. And God answered, but he answered according to His timing and His purposes. 

Upon reflection this morning, it made me quietly evaluate how many answered prayers I have been blessed with. My life, my family, my friends, my circumstances but foremost my God. I don't know about you but I often do send up quick and flighty requests to God and many times they are answered quickly, ohhhh but other times, when they are finally answered I sometimes have forgotten that I had requested it or even worse not acknowledged it with an attitude of gratitude. 

God hears our every prayer, and knows our every thought, and so many times I fail to remember that he stands beside me to guide me and direct me at every venture.  Answered prayers: I have had too many to count, for I began scrolling through them in my heart as I sat in quiet reflection. He has been there at my every turn and sometimes when things seem to be impossible to me, God made them possible, or else he changed my perspective so that I could see things from a very different perspective.  
Even some of the things that I thought at the time that had gone awry, were answered prayers in disguise.  For God had used them to either strengthen my faith, remind me that I am not in control, or use them for the benefit of someone else being able to see God through different eyes by the way those challenges have been negotiated.  

This I know, God does answer prayers, not necessarily the way we would like or in the timing that would be convenient, but he does answer.  And if the answer does not come within our timing, then maybe God is working towards something else that it far from our finite understanding. 
God remains constant; constantly pure, constantly involved, constantly having our back, constantly forgiving, constantly full of grace, constantly strong, constantly present, and constantly growing us to having a closer relationship with Him. 

I have to ask myself this morning, how much have I praised God for who he is, what he has done and what he is doing in my life and in the lives of those who I love who I have prayed for and with. And the answer is NEVER enough.  So my prayer this morning is not for God to do something for me but to live through me, making me aware each day of the glories that are before me, and the blessing of HIM being within me and about me.  For the answered prayers that I behold are a reflection of the gracious God that I serve, and the mighty power he has to do all things that are worthy of his excellence, his grace and his authority.    

I write this note of encouragement to all who are reading this, as a reminder to take a few quiet moments and reflect on the ways that God has blessed you.  Even in tragedy, and trials, I know that if I dig a little deeper I will too find that he has been at work throughout the process. And I pray that he  continues to grow me into being a vessel to proclaim HIS faithful countenance in spite of circumstances, and in praise of his blessings and answered prayers. 

John 14:12-14
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.      

Praise God wherever you are and whatever situation He has allowed you to be in . . . His glory will shine through!

No comments: