Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Lifeguard

We have all seen the sign for years.  Sometimes it is a posted sign while other times it just a sign hanging on a fence post. 
"Lifeguard on Duty".  It is a reminder that if you fall in the pool, or are swimming out in the seas, there is someone there to help if you get in trouble. He is watching, usually from a high point, over the designated territory and remains attentive.  When there is any indication that help is needed, he responds without hesitation to rescue and assist. We get that and we have grown up with the understanding that that is the way lifeguards operate, no matter where the waters are and whoever may have found themselves in troubled waters.  

OK, I was in my favorite store, Marshalls,  a few days back and there it was on an end cap aisle, a small squared barn red sign with white letters that read "lifeguard on duty".  I love word signs and no matter what they say they usually catch my eye, but this time it was different.  I had just been to bible study that morning and this sign hit me. I picked it up wondering why it was catching my attention so intently and it hit me. For instead of reading it and understanding the saying as I had all these years, I processed the meaning differently. This sign was out of season, and on clearance, oh but look again. It was a barn red color, and the letters were in a casual script and between the "Lifeguard" word and the "on duty" phrase there was a cross painted on it in white.  Of course! I get it.  Are you with me?  

We have a lifeguard on duty at all times in our life.  He does not go in and out of season.  He watches from high places and rescues and assists when he sees or hears a cry for help. Like an earthly lifeguard there are rules to adhere to:  do not run or go our too far, only one on a diving board, and no artificial floats that be can be damaged by a prick, etc.  And those restrictions are in place for our own protection. God's rules are stay with him, don't try to outrun his plans, and careful to not have too many voices rolling around in your headboard, and don't count on security from the world that deflate you in a prick of a moment.

That sign will now hang in my entry, for it is a grand reminder that Jesus is my lifeguard, and people will see it and wonder and some will even be bold enough to ask. And oh when they do, I will tell them, Jesus is not seasonal, he is my full time overseer who watches over me in good times and bad and is there to assist and rescue whenever he hears or sees that I have found myself in troubled waters. It is my job to try to follow his restrictions, and walk beside him, not run in front of him, listen to His one voice and not be distracted by others, and beware of the security that the world offers that can be deflated in a moment's notice and accept the lifeline that God throws my way as a means of security that will never be pulled under.  

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Psalm 25:20
Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.

Psalm 86:2
Guard my life, for I am faithful to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God;

Dear Lord, It was just a sign, but you even used that to get my attention and remind me that you are my lifeguard. You are on duty at all times, watching from the heights of your throne room yet close to me always. I praise you and Thank you, Amen

Praise God wherever you are and whatever situation He has allowed you to be in . . . His glory will shine through!

2 comments:

Kenry john said...

Not only is being a lifeguard an incredibly rewarding job in itself, but it also paves the way for future employment. lifeguard classes near me

Universal Lifeguard Certification said...

There are several dissertation online websites online live pick-up not surprisingly acknowledged inside internet sites.
Lifeguard Recertification